DAUGHTERS BEDROOM TARDIS - Page 4

(This is continued from page 3.)

OK, now everything has settled down, and we are back from holiday, I can put the finishing touches to it ...

Starting with the top signs.

As explained earlier I made the out of "clear" Perspex, which with hindsight was pants, - should have got opaque - however, I got a spare piece of clear Perspex and found that with a hard-ish sanding block I sanded in one direction horizontally at the rear or the Perspex which immediately made it opaque AND gave it this "brushed aluminium" type texture which is well cool !!!

Signs (before sanding at rear) and newly made top box wooden bits...

Box now glued together and sign in (but not fixed in) ... but sanded to opaque ...

Both top boxes made and painted ...

Oh my god!!! Signs in position (but not permanently fixed in yet ... Daughter inside TARDIS holding up the lights to see how they look - will need to fix lights in position in a bit ...

And from the front ...

... and these are the striplights I am using ...


OK, thats it for now (Nov 14th 07) ... back soon with more ...


JAN 2008 - FINISHED !!!!!!! - Below are the final pictures of the TARDIS in all her glory ...

Above picture - added laminated laser printed sign and stuck it on with double sided sticky tape.

Also, I used a spongy-ish sanding block and -gently- and very vertically sanded the inside of the windows - this has given them an opaque (non-see-through) look with a smallest hint of the look of brushed aluminium if you look up close - it looks great!

 

 

 

Above: the inside finished, complete with rail and hangars :)

Above: The Skirting boards / kick boards - these are great and turned out perfect, it really finishes the A/C TARDIS off.

Above: skirts go down the side too ...

 

Above: the finished article... !!!!!!!! HURRAY!


Every time I see the Tardis, when going to bed or getting up in the morning it gives me a HUGE buzz ... VERY worth the while.

Total cost to make (including buying the additional tools I needed, paint, wiring, lights etc ... ) probably about 160 - but I did get a lot of the thin wood (brand new - just offcuts) free from a skip outside a mill that was being refurbished ...

I'D JUST LIKE TO SAY Thanks to all the chaps who have given me hints on the way and thanks to all the local hardware DIY shops for putting up with my strange requests!

Happy TARDIS building!!!

Steve.